Considering homes for sale in San Marcos, Texas? San Marcos is home to 50,001 people and also Texas State University which has more than 35,000 students. There is a unique culture about San Marcos and those who live here call themselves San Martians. Central to the life of San Marcos is the San Marcos River, lined with cypress and oak trees on the campus which add to the charm of the university’s unique setting. San Marcos has many great natural elements with the San Marcos River flowing through it as well as the Blanco river, which creates not only great recreational spots but offers a place for many luxury homes in San Marcos with many Texas waterfront properties for people interested in that type of real estate.
San Marcos is a humid subtropical climate which is characterized by hot, humid summers with temperatures reaching into the upper 80’s and 90’s and mild winters when temperatures tend to be in the 50’s and 60’s. Many Northerners call this place home during the winter.
Typically the hottest month of the year is August with an average maximum temperature reaching 95 degrees Fahrenheit, while the coldest month of the year is January with an average minimum temperature reaching 39 degrees Fahrenheit.
Temperature variations throughout the year remain moderate with daytime maximums and night time minimums only ranging 22 degrees difference.
Rainfall is distributed pretty evenly throughout the year averaging 37 inches while the wettest month typically ends up being May with over 5 inches of rainfall.
In 2010, San Marcos was listed in Bloomberg Business Week’s fourth annual survey of the“Best Places to Raise your Kids”, citing the numerous outdoor activities as being a huge plus for kids. In 2013 and 2014, the United State Census Bureau named San Marcos the fastest-growing city in the United States. In December 2013, San Marcos was named #9 on Business Insider’s list of the “10 Most Exciting Small Cities in America.”
In June 2006, The View named the San Marcos Outlets as the third-best place to shop in the world. About six million people visit the malls annually.
Local Activities and Notable Landmarks
San Marcos has many great activities and places to visit for all ages:
- Wonder World Park: Enjoy the nation’s only earthquake formed caves that are open to the public, the guided tour through the cave followed by a ride up to the observation tower. The kids will love the train that goes through a petting park and the antigravity house.
- Aquarena Springs: Home to many diverse species of plants and animals, this site is a wonderful place to take the family. You can explore the springs on a glass bottom boat, enjoy nature on a boardwalk, and search for exotic birds on the grounds. Archaeological research indicates that the area surrounding the springs has been inhabited for the past 12,000 years. This is a must see if you are visiting San Marcos.
- Farmers Union Gin Company: One of many historical sites in San Marcos, this gin was vital to the region’s cotton industry. The gin house was built in 1911 which replaced an earlier structure, and it remained in operation until 1966.
- The Freeman Ranch: This center provides 3,500 acres of beautiful Hill Country habitat and on-site facilities as part of Texas State University in San Marcos.
- Old Main: This building was built in 1903 and was the only building on campus until 1908. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1983.
- Rio Vista Park: This is truly the heart of the community where people hang out at the end of their river float.
- Cheatham Street Warehouse: Originally Reed Grocery Warehouse that received goods by train and selling goods to local grocers, Cheatham Street Warehouse turned into a musical hall that has served as a venue for many different genres and was George Strait’s site for his first gig with Ace in the Hole! Stevie Ray Vaughan could be seen at the club every Tuesday performing in 1980.blues, rock, and folk.qqv The honky-tonk soon provided an outlet for area talent, and many musicians, both famous and lesser known, began their performing careers on the stage at Cheatham Street. Southwest Texas State University (now Texas State University-San Marcos) student George Strait and the Ace in the Hole band played their first shows at the club in 1975. In 1980 a young Stevie Ray Vaughan performed there every Tuesday night.
- Dick’s Classic Garage Car Museum: This venue displays and shows cars and memorabilia dating from the 1900’s to the 1950’s. The goal of the museum is to represent the evolution of the automobile and what the impact has been on society and society’s impact has been on the automobile.
- Wimberley Glassworks: This gallery offers guests an entertaining learning experience as they observe what an art glassblowing truly is. The gallery offers a wide-ranging variety of art and blown glass pieces for sale.
For those of you looking for a community that has outdoor activities and homes near recreational facilities, look no further than San Marcos, Texas. Places of interest include:
- Dog Park: This two acre park is perfect for the family with their four legged friends complete with a covered shade area, benches, water tub and fountain, picnic tables, pet mitt dispenser, scoops, and trash cans.
- Five Mile Dam: This park is complete with a swimming hole, walking trails, great birding vantages, soccer fields, kayaking drop-ins, and sunbathing spots.
- Austin Canoe and Kayak: This outdoor adventure gear outfitter is your one stop shop for kayaking and camping.
- Cool River Ranch: Just ten minutes from San Marcos, you can tube to this working ranch, and stay and enjoy an outdoor concert.
For more information about the San Marcos public school system, check out San Marcos ISD.
San Marcos Academy is an accredited coeducational Christian college preparatory school that boards students from around the world.
There is also a San Marcos Homeschooling Co-op which provides home schooling families social support and extra-curricular activities.
Located in San Marcos, Gary Job Corps Center is the largest Job Corps center in the United States that offers students career technical and academic training.
San Marcos has a great selection of housing. For new homes in San Marcos, contact Black Dog Real Estate, Inc. For homes for sale in San Marcos and real estate for sale in San Marcos, visit our hot sheets or searches and contact one of us for showings. There are many luxury homes in San Marcos to choose from also. If you are searching for lots & land in San Marcos, look no further than Black Dog Real Estate, Inc. We are your one stop shop for buying and selling homes in Central Texas & the Hill Country.